What is a Dog License? Is it included? How do I get one?

A dog license is required for all dogs and horses in LA City.
Dogs and horses (any equine) are required to be licensed in the City of Los Angeles. Cats are not required to be licensed. License tags identify guardians of lost animals. Each license tag has a unique number assigned to your animal alone. People who find an animal with a tag need only call our telephone number printed on the tag for quick guardian identification and reunion with the lost animal. If a licensed animal is lost or taken to a shelter, LA Department of Animal Services can identify the guardian by the tag number and contact the registered animal guardian. Animals with licensing information are held in the shelters while the guardians are contacted.

If you do not license your dog you can be issued a ticket by theĀ  “doggie police” when you are walking/hiking in areas such as Runyon Canyon, Baldwin Park Hills, Griffith Park, etc.

We do not include a dog license in your adoption fee as only the dog owner can register a license.

You can now register a new dog license, as well as renew online.

Back to the FAQ