CHECKLIST: Dos and Don’ts
- Do not leave your dog unattended outdoors under any circumstances – even during the day
- Do not crate your dog for more than 5 consecutive hours
- Do not take your dog on a walk if the ground is too hot – if you can’t keep your palm on the ground for more than 5 seconds the ground is too hot for their paws
- Do not leave your dog in the car unattended – they can overheat and die in a matter of minutes
- Do not jump to their rescue the moment they cry in their crate – they will never learn independence!
- Do not use verbal or physical aggression to address misbehavior or potty accidents
- Do not feed your dog table scraps despite how cute they may look when they beg
- Do not leave doors to the outside open when moving in groceries or other items, your dog could escape
- DO NOT PLACE A CHOKE CHAIN, PRONG COLLAR OR E-COLLAR/SHOCK COLLAR ON ANY DWB DOG FOR ANY REASON.
- Do set up a confinement space for your dog when you cannot keep an eye on them – crate or playpen will work wonders for both you and your dog
- Do establish a routine, for feeding, potty and nap times to help your dog acclimate to your home and prevent accidents.
- Do make fresh water available all day, in a clean bowl
- Do walk your dog on a short leash when walking around sunset/evening time to avoid coyote incidents
- Do regulate the temperature of your home when your dog is home alone
- Do allow your dog an adjustment period – this is a whole new environment for her
- Do keep up with training, even when you think they have mastered the skill
- Do check your dog’s collar regularly to make sure it’s correctly fitted