HOW TO: Introduce foster to other pets
Always introduce your dog to its new roommate on neutral ground.
If you’re picking up at fair it’s great if you can bring your dog with you. If not, that’s fine.
Remove any food, treats, chewies and toys from the general area of your home to prevent fights or resource guarding.
- Get a friend, housemate or partner to bring your dog out of your house and go for a walk.
- Take your foster dog along the same route, eventually catching up to your dog.
- Don’t make too much of a fuss, and let the dogs walk together as best as you can.
- Don’t rush it, don’t force it. As far as your dog knows it’s just a walk. Try to walk for at least 20 minutes and then walk back home.
- Once you get home, keep both dogs on a leash until you have seen how they will interact in this new setting. The key is to go slowly and supervise until both animals are comfortable with each other.